How Do I?


How do I make a FOI Request?

All requests for public documents shall be made in writing, directed to a FOIA Officer and shall be submitted via personal delivery, mail, fax or email. The Village prefers the use of the FOIA Request Form, but will honor all requests lawfully submitted to the Village even if it is not submitted on the attached FOIA Request Form, Any written request submitted to the Village for a public record shall be deemed to be a FOIA request and treated accordingly. FOIA FEES -The following fees shall apply and shall be payable by the Requester prior to receiving the requested public documents: Copies -Legal or Letter Size: $.15 per page (No charge for first 50 copies), Copies· Color or Oversize: Actual cost of reproduction, Certification: $1.00 per document plus copying costs, Recording Media: Actual cost of media, Mailing: Actual cost of postage. Contact Information: Send requests to:VillageTreasurer-Kim Windler, FOIA Officer, at wlvillage@wlvillage.org, or mail to: Village of Wonder Lake, 4444 Thompson Rd, Wonder Lake, IL 60097, Ph:815-728-0839, or fax:815-728-1226. Form is available at bottom of page.

How do I apply for a Building Permit?

Many improvements to homes require a Building Permit. A residents best bet is to start by contacting our building inspector, The building inspector is available at the Village Hall from 8:30 to 10 am Wednesdays and Fridays, at (815) 728-7725. Or call 847-233-1246 to leave a message or schedule an inspection. For more information, see Building Regulations.

Can I burn my leaves and yard waste?

The combined Village and County ordinances impose the following restrictions on open burning of yard waste: • Burning of landscape waste is prohibited within 100 feet of a habitable structure or within 50 feet of a structure that is not habitable. (garage, shed, barn, swimming pool, etc.); • Only on Saturdays between dawn and dusk in October and November, then again in April and May; • All open burning must be supervised by an individual at least 18 years of age until the fire is extinguished and a fire extinguisher or garden hose or water source must be available at the burning site; • Landscape waste is defined as grass clippings, shrubbery, cuttings, leaves, flowers and weeds. Recreational fires, for warmth or cooking are allowed any day of the year with several restrictions: • The fire shall be no larger than 3 feet by 3 feet by 3 feet; • Shall be brush only (no leaves, grass, shrubbery clippings, weeds or furniture); • Brush is defined as tree trunks, limbs, branches and twigs. Optional Leaf removal is available through MDC: As a courtesy to the residents the village carries MDC yard waste stickers for sale, please call ahead as the Village Hall is only staffed part time, but you may also call MDC 815-568-7274 and purchase them thru them. Twice a year, residents receive leaf vacuuming services, sign up with MDC for automated telephone notification of exact dates in the late Fall and early Spring.

My mailbox was knocked down after a recent snowfall, what can I do?

If your roadside mailbox becomes a casualty of the Village of Wonder Lake’s war with the wintertime elements, the village will replace it only if damaged directly by a village owned and operated snowplow. However if damage was caused by the windrow (wall of flying snow) hurled by a passing plow, the village will not repair or replace it. Sturdiness should be considered when you purchase and install your mailbox in a legal manor. It should be able to withstand the force, weight, and sweep of snow flung by the passing plow. Replacement of mailboxes damaged as a result of being struck by a village plow will be with a standard unit set on a Weather treated 4X4 wooden post. Please bear in mind, however that since the village crews are often frequently committed to several consecutive days of plowing and salting, downed mailboxes cannot be replaced immediately. In that case you will have to pick up your mail at the post office until your box is back in place.

What sports programs are available?

Jacobsen Park Sports Organization has two organized sports: Soccer is played in both Spring and Fall Seasons. For ages 5 to 14. Younger ages play “in house” while older players play as a team in the Fox Valley Recreational League. Contact Larry Reinhard @ 815-728-0674 for further information. Girls softball offers both in house and league play for ages 7 through 15. Play beings in May and ends in late July. Contact Sarah Janesczko, WL Park Director at wlgirlssoftball.wix.com/wlgs for more information.

Can I ride my ATV on the street?

It has become a concern for the village as to the use of ATV's, within the village limits, being ridden by residents on private property, as well as public property. The Police Department is asking all parents to discourage the of riding these types of vehicles on private property as it causes a noise nuisance, and riders tend to leave private property, and ride on the streets. There have been reports of these types of vehicles being ridden on public property, parks, and retention ponds. This is strictly prohibited.

How do I pay my water bill?

Residents of Wonder Lake can now make their water utility payments online. Online Payment can be made by: Visa, MasterCard, American Express, or Discover. Visit: https://magic.collectorsolutions.com/magic-ui/Login/village-of-wonder-lake Water bill drop off is located at 4444 Thompson Rd. Drop bill in the black drop box labeled Water Bills, by opening and dropping it into the bottom of the box. To reach the water department directly, call 1-866-371-5699.

How do I report a water leak?

Leaks must be reported immediately by calling 866-371-5699. Please remember that the water service line from the water main to your building is the responsibility of the owner/renter according to Village Ordinance #350.

My house will be vacant for 90 days or more, how do I apply for a water discount?

Please fill out the Water Discount Form and return to Village Hall at 4444 Thompson Road, Wonder Lake, IL.

How do I subscribe for garbage pickup service?

Garbage Services: MDC manages waste removal in the Village of Wonder Lake. The pick up day is Friday, and all refuse and recyclables should be at the curb by 6AM. If any of the following holidays fall on Friday, pickup will be on Saturday: New Years Day, Memorial Day, 4th of July, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day, or any day MDCES is closed. Call 815-568-7274 for service, Seniors are eligible for discounted rates.

Does the Village provide leaf pick-up services?

The Village has contracted with MDC for leaf pick up service. We cannot accurately predict when the leaves will fall but are committed to remove them for all Village residents participating in this program. We are requesting that Village residents rake their LEAVES ONLY to the area between the trough of the ditch and the edge of the road for ease of pick up by MDC. Avoid blocking culvert inlets and releases and do not put leaves on the roadway. Please ensure no rocks, bottles, bricks, branches or other debris are included with the leaves as these items may slow down the pickup process, or even damage the machines. Other options include mulching leaves into your yard, flowerbeds and gardens or composting. Your patience and cooperation with this program is greatly appreciated. WARNING: A citation requiring a mandatory court appearance can be issued for violation of the open burning ordinance & fines of up to $500 per incident can be levied.

How can I read the latest minutes from the Village's Trustee meetings?

You can view Minutes and Agenda from the Village's meetings by going to Village Government > Minutes and Agenda

How can I view the Village's ordinances?

You can view Zoning Ordinances by going to Village Government > Zoning Ordinances.

What can I do if there are properties in my neighborhood that are overgrown with weeds, or in violation of other village nuisance ordinances?

Please call the Village of Wonder Police Department direct at (815) 728-0535. If no one is there to answer your call immediately, please leave your message on Voice Mail. Your message is very important to us and will be answered promptly as soon as an Officer is available. 

I am going on vacation, how do I inform the Police?

Please fill out the House Watch form and return to the Wonder Lake Police Department by one of the following methods:  email to wlpd@wlpd.org, fax to (815) 653-1415, or you can drop off or mail to 4444 Thompson Road, Wonder Lake, IL 60097.